Homemade Eggo Waffles

Okay. Brace yourself. You are about to witness the most delicious gluten free waffles, i.e. eggos, ever made! I was not expecting these to be so good, but they really taste like those terribly satisfying boxed up eggo freezer waffles (without all the gunk)! Granted these still probably aren't as nutritious as they could be, but I only have so many options of gluten-free flours here in Cambodia. :)


I was off of school yesterday and today, so I thought, "What a perfect time for waffles!" Everyone needs waffles sometimes. Especially heart waffles!


I wasn't really feeling like a sweet tasting waffle. Instead I wanted one that was nearly savory, so when it was paired with syrup it would be just the perfect amount of sweetness. In other words, I wasn't in the mood for a sugar coma yesterday morning. These are probably one of the most spontaneous things I've ever made, and yet they turned better than most things!


 I was ecstatic when they worked. So happy that I made another batch so we would have a bundle in the freezer-who doesn't like quick breakfasts? I know mom does.


 HOMEMADE EGGO WAFFLES

Yields: about 4

Ingredients:


2/3 cup gluten free flour (I used a boxed mix with corn, tapioca, and rice flour)
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. flax meal (optional)
2 egg whites
1/3 cup coconut oil (or any oil)
1/3 cup soymilk (or any milk)
3 or 4 shakes of salt (probably 1/2 tsp.)
~1 cup water

Directions:

1. Mix everything except the water in a bowl.
2. Slowly add the water a little bit at a time until the mixture is fairly soupy (not too much though). I used nearly 1 cup.
3. Spray a waffle iron (I don't know how they would turn out in a belgian waffle iron. I only  tried the thin heart shaped one).
4. Pour the batter onto the iron and cook!
Serve with warm syrup, fruit, or applesauce, etc.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Pancakes

Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar