Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins

A couple weeks ago I was in dire need of just a really good, but healthy, muffin. I've always loved muffins, but can't bring myself to eat the boxed kind due to their high sugar and fat content (plus a bunch of other "ingredients" that I can't pronounce). 



This being said, I have always struggled to make the perfect muffin, sort of like my pancake dilemma. My muffins always turn out gooey, flat, and they never raised or got the light fluffy texture that a muffin should have. Well, using the same basic principles as the pancakes, I succeeded in making delicious, fluffy, raised muffins, not to mention they're healthy! 

These apple cinnamon crumb muffins are:
  •  refined sugar, soy, and nut free
  • full of protein and fruit
  • and they even have a crunchy top!

The first time I made these I used oat flour, however, I decided to use regular oats on the spot this time around. Being in a bit of a time crunch and the blender being dirty, I decided to just stick with oats and see how it turned out. Well folks, these are SO much better than the first try. 




Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins
Yields: 16 muffins

Ingredients
            DRY
1 ¾ cup rolled oats
            1 ¾ cup all purpose flour*
            ½ cup unrefined palm sugar
            3 tsp. baking powder
            ½ tsp. baking soda
            1 ½ tsp. Himalayan salt
            ½ tsp. nutmeg
            2 Tbsp. + ½ tsp. cinnamon
            1 cup apple, chopped small (leave the peel on for added fiber and nutrients)

            WET
            1 cup buttermilk (1 tsp. apple cider vinegar + milk; see step 2 below on how to make it homemade)
            4 egg whites
            2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
            2 Tbsp. Greek yogurt (or plain yogurt)
            dash vanilla

Directions:
1.     Preheat the oven to 350.
2.     Pour 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar into a liquid measuring cup. Add enough milk of choice (I used rice) to make 1 cup. Set aside until step 4.
3.     Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
4.     In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.
5.     Gently stir the wet mixture into the dry (DO NOT OVERSTIR!!!)
6.     Place muffin cups in a muffin pan and pour the mixture into the cups.
7.     Bake for 20 minutes.

*Note: the only flour I have in Cambodia is all purpose. For a more nutritious muffin try whole wheat flour or any other flour you want-oat, etc.

Enjoy!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Pancakes

Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar