Plantain Tortillas and Tacos! (grain-free)

So, it's been quite a while since I've had a tacos, and let me tell you, I love tacos! It's pretty much the only kind of Mexican food I like because I hate burritos. Anyway, like I say it's been a while. A while back, when I first found out that I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome I was told not to eat red meat because it was high fat and hard to digest. So, I stayed far from it. I would have it very occasionally at family gatherings or something and my stomach always hurt after. There I was just thinking it was the red meat. However, over the last couple of weeks I've come to a realization. It wasn't the red meat at all, it was the tortilla or the corn taco shell. My experiment in eliminating grains has made me realize that my body actually likes meat and healthy fats. It's like a total switch from what I used to think was good for me I know. But hey it's working!


I bought ground beef the other day, and I knew exactly what I wanted to make with it: TACOS!! Well, they're a variation on tacos. I can't use regular taco seasoning because it has onions and garlic, so I opted for a curry spice mix that I have. It's a blend of cumin, coriander, turmeric, ginger, cloves, cayenne, and black pepper. I also added some Himalayan salt while the meat was cooking. I liked this seasoning way better than normal taco seasoning!


For the tortillas/tacos I looked up a recipe for plantain tortillas. Plantains are a fabulous ingredient for grain free bread-like foods. They are especially great for people like me who are allergic to almonds and coconuts (two of the most popular grain-free ingredients).  I found a great recipe on Fresh Tart. I tweaked the recipe just slightly-not really on purpose, I just needed it to blend better. So, I added quite a bit more water and a little more olive oil. I also left out the garlic and I only used two plantains (I don't know if it was a pound or not). The tortillas turned out so good! They were bendable without breaking and they held the taco filling great! This morning I ate some of the tortillas crepe style with sun butter, banana, and maple syrup. They are extremely versatile!


Plantain Tortilla Tacos (grain free, dairy free, vegan, gluten free)
Adapted from Fresh Tart

2 plantains 
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
water

1. Preheat the oven to 400.
2. In a high speed blender, blend all of the ingredients together. You'll need to add quite a bit more water and a little bit more oil so it will blend. It should be fairly runny by the end. 
3. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper (I highly recommend this!) and spoon the batter onto the tray. Form about 6" circles that are fairly thin. 
4. Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until they are golden brown. 
Enjoy!


Curry Seasoned Taco Filling**

olive oil
Ground beef
curry seasoning
salt

1. Heat the oil in a skillet.
2. Add the beef and brown.
3. Sprinkle the curry seasoning and salt on the meat while it's cooking.
4. Fill a plantain tortilla with some of the meat, and add optional toppings like lettuce, avocado, and kefir/yogurt/sour cream. Enjoy!





**This filling is extremely versatile. Use as much meat and seasoning as you would like. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Pancakes

Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar