Banana Egg Pancakes (grain-free, nut-free, dairy-free)

I love when you go out on a limb to make something new off the top of your head and then it turns out even better then you were expecting! This is one of those days, which is why I'm super excited to share this recipe with you! It requires very limited ingredients, and yet it is absolutely delicious! 


I have a weakness for breakfast foods. But more specifically I love pancakes and waffles. However, having to eat grain-free kind of makes that difficult. I didn't have any other flours from nuts or anything this morning, so I decided to try and make a pancake with the things I had: eggs, banana, maple syrup, pumpkin seed butter. I've heard of making pancakes from eggs and bananas before, so I thought I would give it a try. 

These pancakes are probably close to the top, if not at the top, of my list of favorite grain-free pancakes. They are extremely light and fluffy from the egg. They kind of have a spongy texture, which I liked. There is a unique banana sweetness to them because I pan seared the banana before mashing it (I did this because the banana was frozen). Searing the banana is definitely not necessary, but I highly recommend it! 

I currently work at Good Earth, which is a natural health food store (similar to Whole Foods). While I was working yesterday I noticed we had a new product in: pumpkin seed butter. Since I'm allergic to peanuts and almonds (my two favorite nut butters) I am always on the lookout for good seed butters. I bought some of the pumpkin seed butter, and while it's not my favorite, it does the trick. It's just a little too grainy for my taste. It went really well in these pancakes though. However, feel free to use any nut/seed butter of your choice.

Sorry for the bad photo quality!

Banana Egg Pancakes
Yields: 2 pancakes

1 egg 
1 banana (if frozen, pan sear until you can mash it)
1 Tbsp. Pumpkin seed butter (or any nut/seed butter)
1 tsp. pure maple syrup
pinch of salt
oil or butter or cooking spray

1. Whip the egg in a small bowl. 
2. Add the pumpkin seed butter and whip until well combined.
3. Ad the banana and mash until well incorporated (there will be some lumps, but try to get most of them out).
4. Add the maple syrup and salt and mix until well combined. 
5. Heat a little bit of oil in a pan and then pour half of the mixture into the pan. Wait for about 30 sec. and then flip it over. The pancakes will probably look burned, but they don't taste burnt. Be careful though because they cook really fast. I would turn the heat down to medium for the second one. 
6. Top with butter or more nut/seed butter of your choice followed by maple syrup, and enjoy!


Bon Appetite!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Pancakes

Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar