Pumpkin Pancakes

I remember when I was younger, how it was always a special treat when my mom made pumpkin pancakes. It was probably one of the most glorious smells! We would cover them in powdered sugar. My mom would say, "You probably don't need that much sugar." To which we would smugly reply, "But it falls off when you pick it up." Or, "it's not that  much!"

Oh the days...

I've always loved pumpkin pancakes, and so I knew it was time to make my own recipe, without all of the sugar. Now I think of pumpkin pancakes as a normal breakfast and not just a treat on a special occasion. I figure, it adds one more vegetable/fruit (whatever it is!) to my day!


I created this recipe on a whim, and it actually turned out really good! I came up with the idea after my visit to the doctor. I've been trying to pack in as many fruits and vegetables, including in my baked goods. I figured putting pumpkin in pancakes was only reasonable...and delicious!

I made these with spelt and quinoa flour, adding whole grains and protein. These pancakes are vegan (if you use a non-dairy milk; I used rice), refined sugar free ), fat free, and all around amazing!

I think pancakes are a great snack because they're easy to handle and carry around. These pancakes are no exception! If you have any leftovers, just pop them in the toaster and they're as good as new!



Pumpkin Pancakes 

Ingredients:
·      ½ cup quinoa flour
·      ½ cup spelt flour
·      1/8 cup tapioca flour/starch
·      pinch salt
·      1 tsp. baking powder
·      2 tsp. cinnamon
·      1 cup buttermilk (1 tsp. apple cider vinegar + enough milk to equal 1 cup)
·      ½ cup pumpkin puree
·      1 tsp. vanilla
·      ¼ cup water (optional; pancakes are thicker and fluffier without, which is the way I like it; they were gooier and thinner with it)
·      3 Tbsp. maple syrup

Directions:
1.     Make the buttermilk. Do not stir. Set aside.
2.     Mix the dry ingredients together.
3.     In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients.
4.     Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry, being careful not to over-mix.
5.     Spray a fry pan with cooking spray. When the oil is heated, pour batter onto pan and cook. Flip when bubbles appear.
6.     Serve with favorite toppings.
7.     Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar