Chocolate Chip Cookies (whole grain, refined sugar free, lactose free)

***DISCLAIMER: After a little more research (that should have been done before but wasn't), I would  not use beet sugar again. Palm or date sugar are much, much healthier choices.

There's just something about a good 'ole classic chocolate chip cookie. I don't think anything could beat that! My momma's chocolate chip cookies were probably the hardest thing for me to give up when I quit eating sugar. I used to be known as the "cookie maker" in my family because I would make these cookies every Sunday. No exaggeration. We'd call them "Freezer Cookies" because one batch made A TON of cookies, and we'd always freeze them. We loved to eat them straight out of the freezer or microwave them for a couple of seconds.




I can't even fathom eating one of those cookies today. They're loaded with refined sugar, shortening, and white flour.

These were NOT rolled into balls, baked in shorter time, and chewier. 
That, my friends, is exactly why I have been on a quest to invent a healthy chocolate chip cookie recipe that has a similar taste and texture as my mom's. I've tried and failed with many recipes. A lot of them tasted pretty good, but I'm picky with the texture. I could never make them spread out-instead they stayed the exact same shape as when I put them in the oven. It was so frustrating!! I do not like "cakey" cookies. I like mine chewy, and somewhat thin.


I finally found the secret "formula" (as well as some healthy, key ingredients that I didn't have in Cambodia). Actually it's not really secret, but with a little research I pieced the equation together. In order to get that "spread-out-chewy" cookie, you have to cream the fat and sugar together. Then add the eggs and vanilla, then add the spices and leavening ingredients. Then add the flour in. Walaa!!

These were rolled into balls, baked for longer, and more round and cake-like.  

In this recipe I chose to use Ghee, which is clarified butter. It's a great, healthy alternative for people who can't tolerate lactose because the lactose and casein have been taken out of it. However, it stills works just like regular butter. I also used beet sugar, which is something I've never tried, but thought I would give it a shot. The taste is amazing!! It's a great, natural, healthy alternative to refined sugar. And lastly, in place of white flour, I used a mix of spelt flour, brown rice flour, and tapioca flour.

I could not be more pleased with how these turned out! While they are pretty healthy, they still probably shouldn't be consumed a lot everyday. They're more of a special treat.


Chocolate Chip Cookies (aka “Freezer Cookies”)
Yields: ~2 dozen

Ingredients:
·      ½ cup ghee (best at room temperature, but NOT melted)
·      ½ cup natural beet sugar (or palm or date sugar-better choices)
·      2 eggs
·      1 Tbsp. vanilla
·      ½ tsp. baking soda
·      ½ tsp. baking powder
·      ½ tsp. Himalayan salt
·      2 tsp. cinnamon
·      ½ cup chocolate chips (I used SunSpire)
·      ¾ cup brown rice flour*
·      ¾ cup spelt flour*
·      ¼ cup tapioca flour/starch*

Directions:
1.     Preheat the oven to 375.
2.     In a mixing bowl, cream together the ghee and sugar.
3.     Add the eggs and vanilla and stir until well combined.
4.     Add the soda, powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until well combined.
5.     Add the chocolate chips and mix well.
6.     Add the flour (equals about 1 ½ cups) and mix well.
7.     Place a silpat on a baking sheet (or spray lightly with cooking spray). Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough on the tray (I recommend NOT rolling them into balls, but just leaving them as chunks; this allows them to spread better).
8.     Bake for 7-8 minutes. I did mine on the shorter side to make them chewier.
sLeave the cookies on the tray for a couple of minutes after taking them out.

 *Notes: You could replace the flours with 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour. If you do let me know how they turn out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Pancakes

Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar