Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Like I mentioned earlier, I've gotten back on the green smoothie train, which I am loving! I forgot how wonderful they make me feel! These green smoothies are cold and refreshing, but I knew that when the winter came it would be harder for me to drink these everyday. But I still want the benefits from these nutrition powerhouses. So I got thinking. And I thought that there's gotta be a way to make a hot version of these smoothies, but not necessarily with the same ingredients. That was when I got the idea of soup!


Now,  I know your probably thinking, "Great. Yippee. What's new?" However, this soup is not just your average, ordinary soup. It's basically a hot green smoothie without the fruit. Okay, now your probably really grossed out. But don't be, because this soup is AMAZING!!! As far as I know (keep in mind I haven't had one for a long time) it tastes like a store-bought, Campbell's can of Cream of Broccoli Soup. It's incredibly creamy, despite there being NO cream, milk, or dairy of any kind. In fact, the actual soup only has 3 ingredients-broccoli, zucchini, and vegetable broth! All of them whole, natural, and totally tasty!




The addition of quinoa makes this soup a hearty, filling, and comfy bowl of wholeness! It is ridiculously easy and quick to make too! I promise you won't regret making this soup!


Mock Cream of Broccoli Soup with Quinoa
Serves: 1 (~2 cups of soup)

This soup is seriously amazing! Not only is it full of real food and nutrients, but it has a smooth, creamy texture-without all the cream and milk. It’s a very simple and quick soup that is easy to make on a weeknight and will not disappoint!

Ingredients:
·      1 small head broccoli
·      1/3 of a large zucchini
·      ¼ cup vegetable broth
·      ¼ cup quinoa (optional; millet or amaranth would work too)
·      ½ cup water
·      Himalayan salt
·      goat cheese (optional)

Directions:
1.     Wash, chop, and boil the vegetables.
2.     Meanwhile rinse the quinoa in a small saucepan. Drain. Add the ½ cup water to the quinoa, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes (with cover). Fluff with a fork.
3.     When the vegetables are pretty much fork tender (don’t need to be completely soft), pick them out of the water and place in a blender. Blend with ~1/4 cup veg. broth.
4.     When the mixture is nice and smooth pour it into a bowl. Stir in the quinoa. Top with salt (I use a lot-but it’s real Himalayan salt, not the fake table stuff) and cheese.  

Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Pancakes

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar