Belgian Oat Waffles (gf, df, sf, soy free, V)

I love waffles. I don't know what it is, but something about them is just so satisfying. To be honest, I used to hate waffles. When I was little I used to think it was so frustrating how the syrup would pool in the crevices and then make my waffle soggy. I am very much a crispy fan. The only waffles or pancakes I liked were thin and crispy.


While my taste for the crispy factor has not changed, I do like thicker, buttermilk waffles and pancakes. I am pleased to tell you that these waffles are both crispy. While they are thick, they don't have any sort of gummy, gooey texture whatsoever. They are extremely light and delicious!


I tried several flours, but found that oat flour produced the best texture. I based this recipe off of my Buttermilk Oat Pancakes.


Just put a slab of sunbutter (or whatever nut butter you can eat) and a dash of maple syrup and you've got a winning breakfast! I have no doubt you will enjoy these. And to add to the already delicious taste, they are very nutritious and allergy friendly. They are gluten, dairy, sugar, soy, nut free, and vegan!


Belgian Oat Waffles (gf, df, sf, V)
Yields: ~3 waffles
 
Ingredients:
·      ½ cup oat flour
·      ¼ cup arrowroot powder
·      1 Tbsp. date sugar (or sweetener of choice)
·      ½ tsp. salt
·      ½ tsp. baking powder
·      ½ tsp. baking soda
·      2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp. flax meal + 6 Tbsp. water)
·      ½ cup non-dairy milk (or any milk)
·      ½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
·      1/4 cup water

Directions:
1.     Make the flax eggs by mixing the flax meal and water in small bowl. Set aside.
2.     Mix the dry ingredients together.
3.     In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients together.
4.     Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry. The batter should be fairly thin and bumpy.
5.     Pour some of the batter onto a heated, greased Belgian waffle iron.
6.     Remove when done-I like mine very crispy and these were crispy!


Comments

  1. Looks great
    where do you get arrowroot powder? can it be replaced?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get it at any health food store. It's also known as arrowroot starch. Tapioca, potato, or corn starch should work just the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Pancakes

Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar