Chocolate Chip Sunbutter Donuts w/ Honey Lime Glaze

We're up at my cabin for the weekend, and being up at my cabin always makes me want to eat treats. I had luckily remembered to grab our mini donut maker from the house before we came. I did, however, forget to bring ingredients to make anything with. I'm experimenting with a rotation diet to see if that will help my stomach, as my body gets used to food quickly. So, because of that I was focused on bringing so much other food for meals the rest of the day that I didn't think about bringing things to bake with.


My cabin is also the closest thing I have to home this summer as my parents are still in Cambodia on a LDS mission. I've been floating around between my sister's home and friends houses. It's nice to come up here and feel more at home. It also makes me feel less guilty about experimenting in the kitchen because I know the ingredients are mine to use. As soon as I came up here I scavenged the cupboards and pantry to see what we still had up here. To my delight I found: honey, oats, cornstarch, sun butter, and chocolate chips (the latter two of which I had brought). My original plan was to use oil, but all we have up here is canola oil and I don't like to use that stuff. So, I headed out for an hour long walk through the woods, my mind reeling the whole time of how to make donuts. I came up with a chocolate chip sun butter donut. They are gluten free, dairy free, egg free, peanut free, oil free, refined sugar free. They also conveniently worked with my rotation day 4!


As soon as I got back from my walk I set to work experimenting. I was so pleased with how they turned out. They had a mild sunflower taste and a hint of sweetness. They really aren't the sweet alone, which makes them great for breakfast or snack time. Add a little bit of my Honey Lime Glaze and they are more of a dessert (but I would still eat them for breakfast :).

My sister and her two kids (5 and 3 yrs. old) all thought they were delicious! My nephew was very happy that they were gluten free. Earlier in the day he kept saying how "Mackenzie's mean!" because I didn't make gluten free cookies yesterday. However, when I gave him a donut and told him they were gluten free he shyly said, "Mackenzie's nice" and "thank you". Anyway, I'm sure if they like them, you will too!

Feel free to try them in a donut pan for the oven, as cookies, or even as waffles! That's my next plan for these babies!!

  

Chocolate Chip Sunbutter Donuts w/ 
Honey Lime Glaze
Yields: 12-14 mini donuts

Ingredients:
·      1 ½ cups oat flour (measure oats, then grind to flour in blender)
·      1 Tbsp. cornstarch
·      ½ tsp. salt
·      ½ tsp. baking soda
·      1 tsp. baking powder
·      ¼ cup honey
·      ¼ cup sunbutter (or any nut butter)
·      9 Tbsp. water
·      ½ tsp. vanilla
·      ¼ tsp. lime or lemon juice
·      ¼ cup chocolate chips (I used SunSpire Grain Sweetened Choc. Chips)

Directions
1.     Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
2.     In a small saucepan, melt the honey and sunbutter until smooth and creamy. Remove from heat and add the vanilla, lime/lemon juice, and water. Stir.
3.     Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. (The batter will be very thick)
4.     Spray donut maker with cooking spray. When the donut maker is heated drop batter into each mold by the spoonful.
5.     Cook according to donut maker.
6.     Take out carefully as they are slightly crumbly. Top with Honey Lime Glaze.






Honey Lime Glaze

·      honey*
 lime (or lemon) juice*

Heat the honey in a sauce pan. Add the lime juice and stir well. It should be the consistency to drizzle over the donuts.
*I didn’t use measurements-just do it to taste and as much as you want.


This post was shared on Allergy Free Wednesdays.

Comments

  1. HI there. I am considering featuring you on Allergy Free Wednesday but you didn't link back :( I'm working on it now so if you hurry and email me at wholenewmom at gmail dot com maybe I can still do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Think these will work in a muffin tin? I don't have a donut maker :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure Lisa, you could definitely try-and then let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Pancakes

Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar