Single Serving Waffle w/ Summer Berry Sauce

I've been craving a waffle for a long time. Having recently discovered and fallen in love with spelt flour, I knew I had to create a spelt waffle recipe. I'm also in the mode of creating single-serving recipes as I will be off to college in a month and don't want stacks and stacks of waffles sitting around. I also got the single serving idea because spelt flour is not cheap, and I didn't want to waste half the flour on tons of waffles that might go bad. Thus, the single serving waffle was created. I decided I actually really like the single-serving idea because then I only eat one waffle. When there's more, I usually just munch and munch on them.


This waffle turned out perfect! It had a nice crumb that was slightly crispy. I am totally a crispy waffle fan. I don't like the soft, gooey kind (I know, the one thing I don't like gooey!). I love the crunchy sound it makes when you put your fork to the waffle!


This waffle is also conveniently dairy, sugar, egg, and soy free as well as low fat. It's a perfect, healthy start to the day. Paired with a summer berry compote, and you've got a breakfast for champions! It great for when your feeling like some comfort food or just something new for breakfast because it doesn't leave you with a sugar coma.


This waffle is extremely easy and quick to make! Great for when you want a waffle on a weekday (which I usually do-who says waffles and pancakes are only for Saturday morning?!)


Single Serving Waffle

Ingredients:

1/3 cup spelt flour (or any flour)
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. Himalayan salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. apple juice concentrate
1-2 Tbsp. water

Plug in your waffle iron to heat it up and spray it with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. In another bowl mix the wet. Gently stir the wet into the dry until just combined.  Pour the mixture onto the heated waffle iron and cook. Be careful when taking it out of the iron. To avoid it crumbling, I took each 4th section out by itself, rather than the whole thing at one time. Note: The waffle will harden slightly when taken out of the waffle iron.



Summer Berry Sauce

Ingredients:
                                                                                                          
3-4 strawberries, chopped
handful blueberries
2 Tbsp. apple juice concentrate
water, to desired thickness/thinness
dash cinnamon
honey, optional

Put everything in a saucepan and bring to a boil. (I squished the blueberries to help them combine with everything else). Stir occasionally. When the fruits are well mushed together, remove from heat. Add more water if too thick.

                                                                                                         



This post is shared on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Allergy Free Wednesdays

 Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Pancakes

Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar