Blueberry Waffles (gf, df, refined sugar free, low fat)

Hi there!

I have been dying  to cook. This whole "floating-around-until-school-starts" is really getting to me. I don't know how much longer I can live out of suitcases. I've been traveling between my sibling's houses/apartments as well as friends houses. Last week my sister and I took a 3 day trip down to the Utah Shakespearean Festival, which was amazing!! It's a tradition in my family to go down there every year and see the plays. With my family spread over several states and continents, that tradition was kind of put on the back burner. However, my sister and I decided to go this year and continue the tradition. The plays we saw were "12 Angry Men", "Peter and the Starcatcher", and "Love Labour's Lost". It was a very fun, relaxing trip and I'm so glad we went.


Needless to say, however, all I wanted to do when I got back was experiment in the kitchen. Yesterday I tried, but my mind was such a whirlwind of ideas that nothing turned out. I set my mind on making blueberry waffles this morning though, and they ended up working!


The taste of these waffles is good, with just a hint of sweetness. That's how I like my waffle and pancakes, because then I don't get a sugar coma after putting maple syrup or honey on top of them. They are also gluten free (unless you follow the note at the bottom of the recipe), dairy free, and very low fat. These waffles are not crispy, which was kind of a bummer to me because I am all about the crispy waffles. I do not like soft waffles. Because these waffles are more on the soft side, I simply popped them in the toaster, and then they were nice and crispy!


This was my first time cooking with quinoa flour, and I was actually surprised at how good the waffles came out. I thought I would need starches and gums and what not, but I didn't! They actually hold together really well. These would also be absolutely delicious  with my Lemon Honey Yogurt Glaze.



Blueberry Waffles (gluten free, refined sugar free, dairy free, low fat)
Yields: 2 waffles

Ingredients:
·      1 cup quinoa flour*
·      ½ tsp. Himalayan salt
·      1 tsp. baking powder
·      ½ tsp. baking soda
·      1 egg
·      ¼ cup +1 Tbsp. apple juice concentrate
·      ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp. water
·      1 Tbsp. lemon juice (or more for stronger lemon flavor)
·      1 Tbsp. honey
·      ½ Tbsp. oil (optional)
·      2/3 cup fresh blueberries

Directions:
1.     Plug in your waffle iron, spray with cooking spray and let it heat up.
2.     In a mixing bowl mix together the dry ingredients.
3.     In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients together, except the blueberries.
4.     Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
5.     Fold in the blueberries.
6.     Pour batter onto waffle iron and cook (the longer you let it cook, the crispier it will be).

*Note: I also did a variation of ½ cup quinoa flour and ½ cup spelt flour, but I actually liked the flavor of just the quinoa flour. Also, these waffles are not very crispy.










Comments

  1. These sound amazing (as does your time at the Shakespeare festival--always wanted to check that out when I was in Utah but never made it)! I posted about oatmeal pancakes made with cottage cheese. They are crazy delicious! I am also with you in the crispy waffles camp. Just stopping by from Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... I bet that lemon juice gives these waffles a nice tart flavor. You are making me hungry! Thanks for stopping by the Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love link party :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Pancakes

Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar