What More Can I Learn?

A week ago Tuesday my dad took me out to breakfast and we had a really great conversation about something that's been on my mind a lot. The premise of this conversation was my sweet Grandpa Thomas (who passed away the Friday after this took place). For years he struggled with debilitating back pain/severe scoliosis and dementia among other things. It was hard to watch him struggle. But, he took on the trial with dignity and never ending patience and faith. He could make a room full of people smile, even when he was in pain. But as the years passed we continued to watch him get worse and worse. 

It's true that trials help us grow and become closer to Christ. Rather than asking "why me" we should ask what we can learn. I agree with this one hundred percent, and it's kept me going during some of my hardest challenges. For years I remember thinking that there was a lot that we all could learn from my grandpa's experience. I know I learned so much watching my grandpa, seeing my grandma continually care for him, and also watching how his children worked together to help him. I learned and understood better what it means to be long-suffering and endure to the end. I learned the definition of selfless service from my grandma. 

But over the past couple of months I've wondered why God would make my grandpa suffer so much. Why wouldn't Heavenly Father just bring my grandpa relief from his mortal pain? I didn't see what else there was that we could learn from this experience. It seemed to me like it was useless suffering. 
As I expressed these feelings to my dad, he brought up an important point. He said that Heavenly Father isn't making my grandpa suffer. Rather, his suffering is just a part of this natural, mortal life in a fallen world. The thing he said that has really stuck with me is, maybe my grandpa's trial wasn't just so he could learn something from it. Maybe his suffering was so great so that his joy will be that much greater. I know that my grandpa is experiencing tremendous joy now at having a healthy mind and being capable of serving like he has always wanted. And I know that his joy is so much greater now because he experienced the difficult trial of a deteriorating body here on earth. 

There are an abundance of situations and illnesses that bring trials and difficulty into our lives here in mortality. I know that in all of these circumstances there is an opportunity for growth and learning. They bring us closer to Christ and help us understand His atoning sacrifice. But I also think it is a privilege that we get to experience such trials because in experiencing such suffering, our joy and happiness in the end will be magnified beyond what we can imagine. 
"Be assured that there is a safe harbor. You can find peace amidst the storms that threaten you. Your Heavenly Father-who knows when even a sparrow falls-knows of your heartache and suffering. He loves you and wants the best for you. Never doubt this...while He does not always intervene in the course of events, He has promised the faithful peace even in their trials and tribulations." -Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin
There have been many times in my life when I've wondered what more can I learn? But now I realize that there are some trials that we simply have to endure. And if we endure with dignity and a calm spirit, with faith in God, we will be rewarded with the joy of the Savior. For how can we hope to know joy without suffering? Righteousness without wickedness? Good without bad? Life without death. Happiness without misery? 
"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things." -2 Nephi 2:11
The beauty of this whole concept is that this promised fullness of joy is only possible because of Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice. He suffered all and experienced beyond what is humanly comprehensible. His sorrow reached below the lowest of low. And He did it all because He loved us. And because He drank of the bitter cup, we can now look to the future with hope and trust, believing that Jesus Christ will help us with the burden of our own bitter cups. How amazing is it that we have an all-powerful, all-knowing, omnipotent Father in Heaven who is concerned with our well being and our happiness!
"Peace be unto they soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; and then if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." -D&C 121: 7-8

 Simply,
Kenzie M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Pancakes

Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar