The Change Process

I feel like at this time of year there is always a lot of talk about change. It is culture to set new goals and ambitions at the start of a new year. I've always believed that setting goals is a very important thing to do. However, despite making these goals, I find myself never accomplishing them how I would like. This happens year after year. It seems like no matter how hard I try I never get the results I want. Well, this year something's snapped within me. I'm sick of not becoming the person I want to be and know I can! This is the year change WILL happen!


The Change Process is something that I recently learned about and want to share because I found it incredibly insightful and helpful. I finally was able to see the specific steps that need to be done in order to change. I realized what all is encompassed in change. So without further ado…

Step A: DESIRE-- "I want to change"

  1. this one is pretty straight forward. We need to have a desire to change in order to be motivated to do the following steps.


Step B: CAN-- "Can I change?"
  1. Awareness-at this point it's essential to realize three things:
    • What is wrong: assess where you are at so you can be more successful in reaching where you want to be.
    • What is possible: what I want to become
    • Plan to accomplish: make logical steps in order to reach where you want to be.
Step C: EMPOWERMENT
  1. This is talking about ownership and responsibility
    • remove blocks that are blocking us from our own power
    • remove doubt
    • take back your personal power
    • At this point it's important to realize that you are where you are because of the decisions you've made. BUT it's also important to recognize that because of that, you can make decisions that will get you where you want to be. You have the power to do so!
Step D: COMMITMENT
    • Lay down fundamentals (Ex: "I do not want to live my life with:_____". 
    • Create order out of chaos-without instructions to a board game it's hard to have anything but chaos. The instructions help us have a clear goal of how to succeed. 
    • Self-correct: We lay down fundamentals so that if we ever veer off course we can self-correct and get back on track.
    • Persistence and Vigilance: "constant consistent behavior"-this is probably the hardest but most important steps to remember when it comes to change. NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Change is a very difficult thing, and yet it is essential to our Eternal progression. Heavenly Father sent us here to Earth so we could experience the growth that comes with change. We are here to progress and become more like our Savior, Jesus Christ, but how would we do that without change? The concept of change and progression is interesting to me. Change is more like modifying ourselves, whereas progress is moving forward. It's like a stoplight (I like analogies if you can't tell): say your stopped at a red light. You need that like to CHANGE to green in order to PROGRESS with your journey. Sometimes we need to change parts of our lives in order to progress. 
I invite you to think of something you want to progress this year; something you want to move forward and improve upon. Now, think of something in your lifestyle that you can change in order to make that happen. 
Most importantly, remember that you can do it!!

--Kenzie M


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Pancakes

Mock 'Cream of Broccoli Soup' w/ Quinoa

Tropical Popsicle (in a bowl) no sugar